Tanya Whelan on Barefoot Roses

Tanya Whelan has a knack for designing fabrics that take you back to another time and place, yet feel resfreshingly modern. See what inspires her beautiful creations! We can't wait for her next collection to debut!

I'm so happy to be blogging on Fat Quarter Shop's blog. I've been a fan of the shop for a long time so I was so excited to see that they started a blog.

I'm a fabric and sewing pattern designer, and my first fabric collection for Free Spirit/Westminster Fibers, "Barefoot Roses", was introduced in May at Spring Quilt Market. My next collection, "Ava Rose", will debut at the Spring 08' Market.

Maybe you've already detected a trend here by the name of my collections. Yes, I absolutely love roses. Barefoot Roses features lots of em. Big, medium and small, all rounded out by vintage style tickings and polka dots. In addition to being girly, the collection most of all reflects my love of all things vintage and just plain old. My love of old things is definitely the driving force behind all of my design work. I'm a big collector of antiques, old artifacts and stuff just found on the curb. Old movies, mostly the sets as opposed to he actual stories, also really inspire me. Every design I create resonates for me with a particular time and place from the past whether it's a little girls bedroom in an English cottage circa 1920, a late 19th century French drawing room, or a 1940's living room. This is all probably a result of spending too much time in the Metropolitan Museum's costume exhibit as a little girl.

I'm also realizing just lately how influenced I am by Scandinavian design. I just love the light simple quality of one or two pretty floral patterns in an all white sun drenched room and this probably reflects my personal style most of all.

While the designs themselves feel nostalgic I really love fresh, clear coloration and Barefoot Roses completely reflects this. Fresh green is such an important counterpoint for me to the pretty pinks I love as, for me, it keeps things from getting too sweet and feels more modern.

When I'm not designing fabrics and sewing patterns, sewing, crafting and collecting, I'm chasing after my 3 wonderful children and spending time laughing with my best friend and husband. Oh, and of course making him stop the car because I spotted a treasure on the curb.

Please come visit me at my new blog, Grand Revival, and say hello, I'd love to hear from you!



Tanya Whelan

Labels: