Verna and the Vintage Spool

Today we have the very talented Verna Mosquera blogging for us! She is debuting her studio, the Vintage Spool, with a line called "Sweet Escape."

I was so excited to hear that Kimberly had started her own blog. Having been a fan of her website for quite some time I just knew it would be terrific! It is a pleasure to guest blog and share a bit about myself and my company.

My name is Verna Mosquera and after many years of travel I settled in the beautiful town of Danville in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is there, where I balance being a wife to my husband Miguel, of 11 years, mother to my sons Milo, 5 and Nico, 2 1/2, as well as being the owner of The Vintage Spool.

That balance couldn't be more obvious than this week where I've juggled such tasks as taking my son to his first day of Kindergarten and returning home to find the Federal Express man waiting on my porch with over 300 yards of fabric from my debut line "Sweet Escape," for FreeSpirit Fabrics.

Although having my studio in my own home can be challenging at times, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't get much better than this. I am able to raise my sons while I run the day to day operations of my business. Both are jobs which I am extremely passionate about!

"Sweet Escape" is a line of 30 romantic, softly colored prints. The line was created from a sampling of small vintage treasures which I have collected over the years; a hanky, a french perfume label, millinery flowers, a curtain panel, snippets of very old fabric and so much more.

Why the name? Well because creating things with our hands is such a "Sweet Escape" from all the stresses in our daily lives.

One of the first things I recall learning as a new quilter was to use an inspiration fabric when you start a new project. That fabric leads to the color palette and overall feel of the quilt. It is so amazing to think that soon my fabric designs may inspire others to create not only quilts, but home and personal accessories, children's clothes and so much more.

Be on the lookout for our fabrics in December of this year, not to mention several new patterns both pieced and applique to be released at Fall Market in October. Stop by our website The Vintage Spool for updates as things progress. Remember to check in with Kimberly at the Fat Quarter Shop as she is sure to have the fabrics and patterns as soon as they are available.



Thanks again to Kimberly and her readers for being a part of this terrific time of artistic growth!






Verna Mosquera
www.thevintagespool.com
photos courtesy of Gregory Case

Labels: