Designer Tidbits: Daisy Janie
















The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Jan DiCintio of Daisy Janie to the Jolly Jabber. Daisy Janie Organic Fabrics’ latest fabric collection, Shades of Grey, just arrived in our shop. We know you will love this fabric collection as much as Jan!




Q: What was the first seed that grew into the Shades of Grey collection?

A: The sparks that inspired the Shades of Grey collection came from two meaningful gifts: an Irish wool sweater given to me by my dearest friend Jeanie on one of her first trips to Ireland about 17 years ago (I still wear it) and a tiny beach pebble given to me by my son. Each one indulges me with its texture, softness, color and form, and, most definitely, the embodied sentimentality. As I considered them individually and together, the idea for a collection based upon textures/things stitched together by their characteristic hues began to emerge.




My father's pinstripe suits. A dapple grey horse named Travis eating grass out of my hand. My old Irish ragg wool sweater. A chain link fence to climb over to meet my friends or to reach through to pet a doggie's nose. A bed of river rocks waiting to be skipped or stacked into cairns. A nickel-plated zipper on my favorite pair of comfy jeans.


Q: What are 3 Words you would choose to describe this collection?

A:
1. Versatile
2. Cutting-edge
3. Gender-neutral


Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite (can only pick one!)?

A: My favorite is usually whichever one I’ve worked with most recently! Outside of that, it would be Chain Link because it has the perfect minimalist, modern look I gravitate toward.




Q: What is your dream project using this collection?

A: I have been dreaming and scheming a new look for our bedroom since I sent these designs to the printer: a duvet cover, pillow shams and new curtains. Oh, I can’t wait! I also have grand visions of a pencil skirt created from the pinstripe fabric – the ultimate blend of feminine and masculine!






Daisy Janie's Silly Secrets 

1. What music are you listening to right now?
I am obsessed with a playlist of British lady singers on my ipod I labeled “Blimey.”

2. Work and life essentials aside, what is the activity you spend the most time doing?
Working out (military-style fitness). It’s like a magic ‘reset’ button, and it pushes me past mental and physical barriers daily.

 3. Do you have any pets and what are their name(s)?
Yes, I have 2 large scalawag assistants of the doggie variety, Scout and George. I usually know the UPS truck is within 1 block thanks to their ‘alerts’!

4. What is the most important part of a sandwich?
Not so much any part, but just making sure the contents make it to the edges of the bread. Biting into empty crusts is such a letdown.

5. What is your favorite fabric print ever (excluding your own)?
A vintage calico cotton by Everfast Fabrics Inc called “Phlox Colors,” which was inherited in a stash from my husband’s grandmother. Seen here- the pillow in the front.

xo,
Jan

Labels: