Designer Tidbits: Cynthia of Birch Fabrics




The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Cynthia to the Jolly Jabber. Cynthia’s latest fabric collection is Storyboek from Birch Fabrics.




Q: What was the first seed that grew into the Storyboek collection?
A: The inspiration for Storyboek was a sort of collective of childhood memories and images. The palette is inspired by colors from my room in the early seventies (my wall paper was a yellow patchwork with a cream print). My mom was a woodcrafter, and loved American Folk Art, so a lot of the décor in our home was wood cut and often painted with oil paint in a Dutch aesthetic. The theme for Storyboek was based on my favorite verse from Robert Louis Stevenson’s “A Child’s Garden of Verses” called “Foreign Lands”.




Q: What are 3 words you would choose to describe this collection?
A:
1. Illustrated
2. Nostalgic
3. Whimsical




Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite (can only pick one!)?
A: My favorite print is definitely the Gone Fishin’ Cheater. It’s not easy to choose, but I love that it incorporates all the boy prints and the palette and sweetness of the print makes my heart pitter patter.




Q: What is your dream project using this collection?
A: My dream project for this collection would be a nursery for a twin boy and girl. Oh how I hope that this will come to be for some lovely family and that they will send me photos!!





Cynthia's Silly Secrets:

1. What music are you listening to right now?
Foo Fighters, The Smiths, The Cure, Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service, Radiohead, too many to list!

2. What is your guilty pleasure food?
Almond and Chocolate Croissants

3. Do you have any pets and what are their name(s)?
Tortoise, named Ant.

4. Your biggest pet peeve?
When people criticize art or anything for that matter.

5. What is your favorite fabric print ever (excluding your own)?
Bird on a Ball by Etsuko Furuya of Echino.


Labels: