Designer Tidbits: My Mind's Eye












The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Jennifer Allyson of My Mind's Eye to the Jolly Jabber. Jen’s latest fabric collection is Lost and Found from Riley Blake Designs.





Q: What was the first seed that grew into the Lost and Found collection?
A: There is this fabulous little vintage cafe & boutique near my brother's house and every time I'm in town, I have to stop by and just breathe in all the vintage inspiration. These photos are some of the decorations and adorable items they sell that really inspired me to create the Lost & Found designs.




Q: If your collection had a soundtrack what would be on the list?
A: Definitely something jazzy and full of soul like Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald, throw in a little New Orleans player piano and we're good to go!

Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite (can only pick one!)?
A: That's actually really easy, while I love all the patterns, I have a serious obsession with the Gray Medallion Dots #C2603. I am hoarding every inch of it that I have and cut it very precisely as not to waste even a little bit!




Q: What is your favorite project you have made using this collection?
A: I made some throw pillows for my sofas, and of course had to use that Gray Medallion Dot for the fun gathered pillow. I am working on a quilt right now, but I'm sure it will be quite some time until that is finished because I am brand new to quilting.




Q: What is your favorite part of working in the fabric industry?
A: I really love the people. The folks at Riley Blake are absolutely the best people that you will ever meet. And every time I'm at market or even just a quilt guild meeting I meet the most talented, kind, and generous people.

Q: Can you give us a sneak-peak of your next fabric collection?
A: Yes! It's actually coming out in October - So Sophie is a collaboration between me and fellow designer Deena Rutter (through My Mind's Eye). It's a luxurious and warm collection with golds, plums, teals, and browns. I am planning on decorating my guest room around the plums in the line.




Q: What is your absolute favorite thing in your house?
A: We are in the process of remodeling the 34 year-old house that we just bought. We've put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into it, and I've been able to hand-pick everything that has gone into the house. So there is so much that I love, but my absolute favorite thing right now is our guest bathroom that we added board & batten to and made a custom vanity.




Q: Which project stands out in your memory as your all-time favorite?
A: Well I'm hoping that my new baby Oliver (5 months) counts, because I do consider him my best and favorite project ever!




If babies don't count, then I would say my Parisian bunco party was my favorite project. I absolutely love parties and one day hope to have my own party planning business.




Q: Where do you do your best thinking? Can we see a photo of your studio?
A: I do my best thinking in the shower. I really need to stop showering because I have way too many ideas and way too little time!

Because we just moved into our house, my studio is still in boxes! But the upside is that it's a blank canvas just waiting to be drawn on. This is a photo of it before I started making projects, but after this past week, it pretty much looks like a tornado hit it! As soon as the home renovations are done, my husband is going to build some custom cabinetry to house all my supplies.




Q: What is your favorite snack food? Can we see a photo of your fridge or pantry?
A: At this very moment I am addicted to the small flavored Chobani yogurt cups. They are smooth, sweet, and super easy to grab when I barely have time to think let alone eat! Our kitchen is still being remodeled, so her is a photo of my make-shift pantry. I really like tuna fish, not so much fiber one bars (those belong to my husband).




Q: What is your one guilty pleasure in life?
A: Ever since having a baby, I cannot get enough of trashy reality TV. It's just such an over-the-top form of entertainment, and I can squeeze a short episode of Keeping up with the Kardashians or Real Housewives during a naptime here and there and feel like a practically new woman by the time the baby wakes up.


Labels: ,