Thursday, September 15, 2011

Designer Tidbits: Sue Zipkin

The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Sue Zipkin to the Jolly Jabber. Sue’s latest fabric collection is Cool Cats from Clothworks.

Q: What was the first seed that grew into the Cool Cats collection?
A: Clothworks suggested I work on a new cat group to be introduced at the end of summer. I had a very successful cat collection a few years ago in the scrapbooking market. I reworked the original style a bit while maintaining some of the special elements in the collection. At Clothworks request the colors were updated to a rich fall palette. The name was easy for some of these cats are wearing fun sunglasses, obviously that makes them cool cats.

Q: What are 3 words you would choose to describe this collection?
1. Playful
2. Whimsical
3. Enchanting

Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite (can only pick one!)?
A: It is challenging to decide which is my favorite in the collection, I would have to say that I am partial to the fishbone, I have always been a fan of the fishbone icon all of my design career. It actually takes me back to childhood. I recall seeing those fish bones in cartoons and that sort of thing and they bring back a pleasant memory.

Q: What is your dream project using this collection?
A: I would love to design quilt projects, but that is not my specialty, I am more of a fabric designer who creates the artwork for the fabric, so I leave it up to the amazing quilters to come up with the projects for my fabrics. I would be really excited to see some adorable cat beds and I also think it would be really fun for someone to come up with a kitchen collection using the cool cats pattern.

Sue's Silly Secrets:

1. What music are you listening to right now?
Right now I am listening to my 10-year-old son practice violin with his dad who is playing guitar

2. Work and life essentials aside, what is the activity you spend the most time doing?
I would have to say photography

3. Where did you grow up and where do you call home?
I grew up in central New Jersey, I live in Westchester New York at this time.

4. Do you have any pets and what are their name(s)?
The only pet we have is a crested gecko named fluffy.

 Not long ago we had a beautiful cat named Sammy, to whom I would like to dedicate this collection.

5. Your biggest pet peeve?
People who do not practice what they preach

Don't forget to visit Sue's blog!


BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your photos are wonderful and the coooooooooool cats fabric.

Simone de Klerk said...

I love Sue's work. This new line is so pretty!
Great to get to know her better (:

Dee said...

Great collection, great interview, incredible artist!

Laura said...

I love Sue's "Gone Haunting" fabric!

Awww, what a sweet kitty! I'm partial to cats with little white feet!

The Little Shop of Stitches said...

Love cat fabric! There is just something about quilters and cats. Not sure what it is, but why question it!