Designer Tidbits: Caleb Gray


The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Caleb Gray to the Jolly Jabber. Caleb’s latest fabric collection is Robot Factory from Robert Kaufman.




Q: What was the first seed that grew into the Robot Factory collection?
A: My inspiration came from the fact that we never seem to outgrow our love of robots. We see them all over movies and TV, and while they’re fun for kids, they are also entertaining and nostalgic for adults too!

Q: If your collection had a soundtrack what would be on the list?
A: Well, anything we could do the Robot Dance to, of course! We’d definitely have to start with “Robot Rock” by Daft Punk. Then Robyn’s “Fembot,” Cibo Matto’s “Clouds,” Marina & the Diamonds’ “I Am Not a Robot” and “Crimewave” and “Air War” both by Crystal Castles are all pretty robot-friendly tunes too.

Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite (can only pick one!)?
A: That’s tough because I like them all! But if I had to pick just one, I’d go with the main robot print (ACY-11532-205) in the multi colorway. Not only are these robots a bunch of fun but this pattern really brings the whole collection together.




Q: What is your favorite project you have made using this collection?
A: While I haven’t decided how I’d like to use these fabrics yet, I just finished using one happy robot on customizable party invitations:




Q: What is your favorite part of working in the fabric industry?
A: My favorite part would have to be how involved all the quilters, crafters, and fabric enthusiasts are. It’s fun to see other creative types take these fabrics and turn them into their own creations. Not only that, but they seem to have very discernable tastes and be proactive about seeking out and following their favorite designers, which keeps the quality of fabrics high.

Q: Can you give us a sneak-peek of your next fabric collection?
A: In the spring I am planning to have two new collections available, one travel themed and the other pet related. Here are a couple of patterns from these groups. I’ll be posting release dates and more info on the “Products” page of my website so check back!







Q: What is your absolute favorite thing in your house?
A: As you’ve probably seen from my website and fabric collections, I’m a huge fan of retro. So two of my favorite things are my “Standard Ice Cream” ad from Hatch Show Print and my mid-century modern chair and sofa.





Q: Which project stands out in your memory as your all-time favorite?
A: Working on the “Groove” fabric collection with Robert Kaufman was really a blast. These groovy geometrics come in six different colorations and coordinate in such a fun way with each other, I’m thrilled each time I see something new that had been created out of them. I’ve discovered all sorts of fun quilts, accessories, and children’s clothes created with these fabrics, but the biggest surprise was the Deliliah Dress by Dolly Valentine for Cats Like Us. Although it’s currently sold out, I love that this fabric turned into a bit of retro rockabilly fashion.



The Grove collection.


Q: Where do you do your best thinking? Can we see a photo of your studio?
A: Ideas seem to pop up when I least expect it, like running errands or drifting off to sleep! I’ve just moved into a new studio and am in the process of sorting supplies, arranging furniture, and painting the walls. Martha Stewart has a nice blue paint called “Tidewater” I plan on using. Check back soon and I’ll let you know how it turns out!




Q:What is your favorite snack food? / What is your one guilty pleasure in life?
A: These two questions go hand in hand. While I don’t snack much, my favorite guilty pleasure happens to be a big ol’ bowl of brownies & ice cream. There was lots of tasty research done for my “Confections” fabric collection!






Labels: ,