Designer Tidbits: Erin McMorris


The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Erin McMorris to the Jolly Jabber. Erin’s latest fabric collection is Greenhouse Flannel from Free Spirit Fabrics.




Q: What was the first seed that grew into the Greenhouse Flannel collection?
A: I don't know if I start with "inspiration" as much as I like to try something a little different from my last collection. I didn't have any conversational prints in the last collection so I started with a fun fruit print and the "greenhouse" grew from there. I like conversational prints on flannel.




Q: If your collection had a soundtrack what would be on the list?
A: The theme song would be by Saint Etienne - Swim Swam Swim. It is an older song and I don't know if you can even find it anywhere, but it always makes me happy.

Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite?
A: I think "Buttonwood" is my favorite. It incorporates my favorite things: large simple directional design with graphic elements, minimal colors and a bit of hand drawn linework.




Q: What is your favorite project you have made using this collection?
A: I have been way too lazy...I mean busy...to even start anything yet. So actually the only thing I've done is cut up some scraps and frame them. It adds a bit of color and anything looks better under glass and in a frame...even unevenly cut fabric scraps!




Q: What is your favorite part of working in the fabric industry?
A: Everything. I love to see what people do with the fabric. The creativity that people show with how they use it, what they use it for, what other fabrics they use it with, amazes me because it is often used in ways I never expect. It never gets old.

Q: Can you give us a sneak-peek of your next fabric collection?
A: I can't yet, although you can see I'm working on it on my computer screen. And there is another hint in the pictures as to what the conversational print for the group might be...

Q: What is your absolute favorite thing in your house?
A: I love my house and have too many favorite things in it. I guess I would say one of them is my collection of vintage globes and snow bubbles. This is just a small group of them!




Q: Where do you do your best thinking? Can we see a photo of your studio?
A: My studio...




Q: What is your favorite snack food? Can we see a photo of your fridge or pantry?
A: How about my fruit bowl in the spirit of Greenhouse?




Q: What is your one guilty pleasure in life?
A: Well I did just discover that they sell Graeter's Ice Cream at a shop 2 blocks away. I didn't know you could buy it outside of Cincinnati and it is the BEST ice cream! All my Cincinnati friends know what I'm talking about, right?


Labels: ,