Designer Tidbits: Lori Holt


The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Lori Holt to the Jolly Jabber. Lori’s latest fabric collection is Daisy Cottage from Riley Blake Designs.




Q: What was the first seed that grew into the Daisy Cottage collection?
A: My inspiration for Daisy Cottage came from my childhood memories. I grew up in a small town and I was lucky enough to live near my grandma and my 5 great aunts...who were her sisters. Their homes were small quaint cottages filled with charming furniture pieces and beautiful floral wallpaper in the bedrooms. My designs are always family and vintage inspired.





Q: If your collection had a soundtrack what would be on the list?
A: It would be the soundtrack that I have created on my blog...songs that played on the record player at grandma's house. Two songs in particular on my playlist that could be the theme songs for Daisy Cottage are "Dear Hearts & Gentle People" by Bing Crosby and "Please, Don't Eat the Daisies" by Doris Day.

Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite?
A: Wow!...it's hard to pick a fave but I guess I would have to say C2750 which is the large daisy print. As I drew it, I tried to think "vintage wallpaper in the upstairs attic bedroom of a cozy cottage." I hope I managed to capture that look in this design.




Q: What is your favorite project you have made using this collection?
A: I loved making them all, but the one that was the most fun for me is "Shabby Shades" because of all the embellishments that were used.




Q: What is your favorite part of working in the fabric industry?
A: I love fabric...and I have always loved to draw and create different things. I especially love working with different color combinations - that is my favorite part so far!... oh... and seeing my name on the selvedge :)

Q: Can you give us a sneak-peek of your next fabric collection?
A: Sure, it's called Millie's Closet and will be released in March of 2012.




Q: What is your absolute favorite thing in your house?
A: My house is filled to the brim with vintage things so I have lots of favorites...but right now I'm having fun with an old cupboard top that I found at a thrift shop and hung on my family room wall.





Q: Which project stands out in your memory as your all-time favorite?
A: Probably that would be one of my applique quilt patterns. I'll say... "The Comforts of Home"...inspired by my memories of growing up in a large family.




Q: Where do you do your best thinking? Can we see a photo of your studio?
A: I do my best thinking outside.. in my garden with my flowers or in the mountains with my family.






Q: What is your favorite snack food? Can we see a photo of your fridge or pantry?
A: My favorite snack food is popcorn... pink popcorn!
I have a little red fridge in my studio where I keep snacks or my lunch for the day. I make my lunch in the morning and put it in my little fridge so that I can stay in my studio all day to get a lot done!





Q: What is your one guilty pleasure in life?
A: My one guilty pleasure that I do just for myself... is thrifting or junking. That's my favorite thing to do when I need a break or need to unwind between projects. I have found some great things over the years!


Labels: ,