Designer Tidbits: Sandy Gervais



The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Sandy Gervais to the Jolly Jabber. Sandy’s latest fabric collection is Late Bloomers from Moda Fabrics.





Q: What was the first seed that grew into the Late Bloomers collection?
A: My inspiration for this line was the late blooming fall flowers and their dark rich colors. Along about this time of the year– when my potted flowers are looking pretty sad - I am thankful for the late blooming fall flowers.

Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite?
A: I like this little floral print. I like the look of the pink and red on the dark brown background and the airy little leaves flowing throughout the fabric.




Q: What is your favorite project you have made using this collection?
A: Making Honey - the Honey Bee block is my favorite quilt block. The warm yellow colored background gives the quilt a mellow feeling.




But really, I can’t choose just one. I also like Solitude. It will be the new quilt for our bed.




Q: What is your favorite part of working in the fabric industry?
A: I love working with color. I like to come up with new color combinations. Recently, I have been loving coral and warm red.

Q: Can you give us a sneak-peek of your next fabric collection?
A: The next fabric collection to arrive in stores will be Sassy. Sassy is a bright fun group featuring a pre-printed apron panel.






Q: What is your absolute favorite thing in your house?
A: I have many things in my house that I like. Many of them were made for me by my DH (dear husband), my faux fireplace being one - I love changing the décor to fit the season.




I also like this heart thingy made from various found objects - also made by my DH -




and the newest of our many birdhouses - again made by the DH.




Q: Which project stands out in your memory as your all-time favorite?
A: Favorites change from time to time as trends come and go. At this very moment I am loving Lake House. It is wool appliqué and is a rendition of our lake cabin.




One of my longtime favorites is my Checks and Balances quilt. It is a very simple pattern - but it is timeless - not trendy and it has my favorite colors - red and coral.




Q: Where do you do your best thinking? Can we see a photo of your studio?
A: The nice thing about being an artist is that you can work anytime - anyplace. I am always observing patterns and colors whether it is on the street, in a store, or sitting at the lake.

Q: What is your favorite snack food?
A: Usually Chocolate - but lately I have been eating a lot of caramel corn. And this is the time of the year I start to crave candy corn and peanuts, caramel apples and apple dumplings.

Q: What is your one guilty pleasure in life?
A: Well I certainly have more than one. Just to mention a few - I love glasses - eyeglasses - the funkier the better, and also shoes. I can never have enough shoes!




Labels: ,