Designer Tidbits: Deb Strain



The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Deb Strain to the Jolly Jabber. Deb’s latest fabric collection is Always & Forever from Moda Fabrics.




Q: What was the first seed that grew into the Always & Forever collection?
A: I painted "Always and Forever" around Valentine's Day, when the world is filled with hearts, flowers and the sweet sentiments of love. Years ago, when I was an art teacher, we created many Valentine art projects with cut-out hearts and flowers. A few of the coordinates within this group came from memories of hanging hearts around a classroom!




Q: If your collection had a soundtrack what would be on the list?
A: Believe it or not, my senior high Prom Theme and song was "Always and Forever" by Luther Vandross! I would have to include that if this collection had a soundtrack. I would also include some other lovey-dovey songs like, "When I Fall in Love," "You Are So Beautiful," "At Last," and "Unchained Melody." (I tend to like the older love songs!)

Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite (can only pick one!)?
A: As usual, my favorite print in "Always and Forever" is the panel. It pulls the entire group together for me. I am always impressed by how closely Moda matches the fabric to my original painting!




Q: What is your favorite part of working in the fabric industry?
A: In addition to making a living doing what I love, it would have to be the people! I have met the nicest, most creative people in the last 15 years of working in the quilting industry. Every time I go to a trade show or a "show and tell" at a Quilt Guild meeting, I am amazed at the talent within this group of kind, fun-loving creators.

Q: Can you give us a sneak-peek of your next fabric collection?
A: At Fall Quilt Market, Moda showed my newest group...I am so excited about it. I can show you one of the paintings that it was inspired by! Maybe two!





Q: What is your absolute favorite thing in your house?
A: My family! Even though this picture was not taken IN our house…it is what makes our house a home.




Q: Where do you do your best thinking? Can we see a photo of your studio?
A: I do my best thinking and creating in my studio...morning hours are best.




Q: What is your favorite snack food? Can we see a photo of your fridge or pantry?
A: Like many, it is chocolate. I have a hidden stash that everyone knows about. It is one of our family jokes! I’ve been super busy so our fridge looks a little bare!