Designer Tidbits: Sue Zipkin



The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Sue Zipkin to the Jolly Jabber. Sue’s latest fabric collection is Froggin' for Clothworks Fabrics.





Q1: What was the first seed that grew into the Froggin' collection?
A: The inspiration for this collection is the lily pond at the Mohawk Mountain House. Every year my family and I go on a vacation to this gorgeous part of the planet in Hudson Valley.




 The lily pond is my favorite spot on the mountain. I can quiet my mind, absorb the beauty around me and listen to the wonderful critters that frolic in the pond.




I have taken poetic license to stylize the artwork for this juvenile/baby fabric.





I had also created a Garden Flag collection. After that came the fabric group. I expanded the green and yellow palette by mixing in pinks for girls and blues for boys.

Q: If your collection had a soundtrack what would be on the list?
A: That is an interesting question; I definitely think it would be classical music, perhaps The Four Seasons Spring by Vivaldi.

Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite?
A: My favorite print is the wavy seaweed design. I love the simplicity of it and the movement. I think there are a lot of things quilters can do with this pattern.




Q: What is your favorite project you have made using this collection?
A: As many of your readers already know, I don't actually design quilts and projects, I focus on fabric design. This would work great for all kinds of projects such as baby quilts, diaper bags, and children's and baby clothing. If anyone creates any of these things, I would love to see them and feature them on my blog.

Q: If this collection had a scent to it, what would it be?
A: This collection would smell like a little baby after a bath.

Q: Can you give us a sneak-peek of your next fabric collection?
A: The fabric collection that will be shipping after this one is Suzette and I am excited that the Fat Quarters Shop picked it up.




Q: If you had a mascot, what animal would it be?
A: A Lion.

Q: Who is your favorite celebrity?
A: The Dalai Lama, I am not sure I would call him a celebrity; his words are so inspiring to me, so I hope he counts.

Q: If we were making a movie about your life, who would you want to play you?
A: Geena Davis




Q: Who is your favorite fabric designer not including yourself?
A: I have so many favorite designers, not just one, asking me to share about one designer is like asking me to eat one potato chip, I just can't do it. One of them is my friend Chris Chun; his paintings are amazing. There is something so delicate, transcendent and timeless in his artwork.

Another favorite of mine for different reasons is another friend, Beth Logan; her artwork is adorable and uplifting. Her critters are so cute you would want to have them as pets. Then my friend, Joyce Shelton,  whose art is just filled with "Life Energy" and such beauty… oh you asked for one.. oops.


Labels: ,