Designer Tidbits: Daisy Janie


The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Jan DiCintio of Daisy Janie to the Jolly Jabber. Jan’s latest fabric collection is Tilly.




Q: What was the first seed that grew into the Tilly collection?
A: The Tilly Collection is dedicated to and inspired by my Mom because she has always been the wind beneath my wings. In order to capture a place and time that reminded me so much of her nurturing, I took a mental tour of our home in the 1970s and re-interpreted a few things for Tilly: big flowery wallpaper, a sofa with quilted, swooping stems and funny leaves that I would trace with my fingers, a garden trellis that was climbing with roses. I added some modern versions of the harvest palette (green, brown, gold, orange) to keep that 70s vibe.




Q: If your collection had a soundtrack what would be on the list?
A: Sticking the 1970s theme, the soundtrack would be all disco!
One Way or Another - Blondie
Mamma Mia - Abba
MacArthur Park - Donna Summer
Knock on Wood – Amii Stewart
I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor

Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite ?
A: This certainly changes day-to-day because I love them all, but today, my favorite is Mumsy in Dawn. It radiates warmth, sunshine and summer to me ~ and that’s all I’m dreaming about on this very bitter, cold day in January!




Q: What is your favorite project you have made using this collection?
A: I love this shirred pillow top made with Trellis Dawn and Vinery Dawn. It was my first time working with elastic thread, and I enjoyed making it as much as I enjoy looking at it. A very cool effect!




Q: What is your favorite part of working in the fabric industry?
A: The unending creativity! It never ceases to amaze me what folks come up with regarding fabric design, quilts, quilting and just general making and crafting. I’m inspired by the simple, everyday creations as much as by the artistic, jaw-dropping pieces. I can’t get enough because the possibilities are endless!

Q: Can you give us a sneak-peek of your next fabric collection?
A: While I don’t have artwork I can share just yet, I can tell you that it is influenced by the simple beauty I see when I gaze out my studio window, lost in daydreams. One of the designs I will be featuring is a re-introduction of a very popular design that I once digitally printed for my old etsy shop, Boxwood. The initial sketch of this design is shown here.




Q: What is your absolute favorite thing in your house?
A: A tall, textured glass vase that was once my Grandma’s. She had a teak rolltop desk just inside her front door that she used as a hall table, and the vase was always there. It was one of those things that I’d always, always see as a youngster. Once my Grandma passed away, I realized how much I associated that vase with the comfort of being in her home. I’m so glad to see it every day on a table near my own front door.




Q: Which project stands out in your memory as your all-time favorite?
A: Most definitely this elephant costume I made for my son in 1998. It was my first time truly following a pattern and sewing curves! I was so nervous!. I ended up using that same sewing pattern as the basis for a few other costumes for him down the road.




Q: Where do you do your best thinking? Can we see a photo of your studio?
A: I do my best thinking on a long walk – the fresh air and new scenery gets the brain juices flowing!




Q: What is your favorite snack food?
A: Extra-sharp cheddar cheese. This is a food group unto itself as far as I’m concerned!

Q: What is your one guilty pleasure in life?
A: Working out! Seriously. I can’t even begin to describe the amazing things we do there and how freaking fantastic the people are! Nothing typical about it. Like my second family!! Keeps me strong, motivated and confident! Here we are running up a nearby hill in summer heat with weight vests! Booyah!




Labels: