Designer Tidbits: Deena Rutter


The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Deena Rutter to the Jolly Jabber. Deena’s latest fabric collection is Scoot from Riley Blake Designs.




Q: What was the first seed that grew into the Scoot collection?
A: The inspiration for the Scoot collection came from toys from my childhood. I even had a little scooter like the one in the fabric. I knew I wanted this to be a hand drawn look... and I wanted to walk the fine line in between not too cutesy and too realistic. When my boys were young, it was hard to find that style, so I wanted to bring it to life myself.




Q: If your collection had a soundtrack what would be on the list?
A: 
1. Can’t Stop - by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
2. Superman - by R.E.M. 
3. Long Time Gone - by the Dixie Chicks 

 All these songs remind me of my boys when they were littler guys.

Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite?
A: This fabric was so fun to design. The Scoot collection started as hand-drawn sketches of little trucks, trains and scooters. The colors look so great to me on my computer screen, but when I saw the prints in fabric I was in love! My favorite is Scoot Cream Tiny Toys.  It has a soft vintage feel with the hand drawn look that I was hoping it would have.




Q: What is your favorite project you have made using this collection?
A: I worked with my sister, Shana Muse, to design the Rooty Scoot Scoot quilt pattern (coming so soon!) She made this great pillow with my helicopter applique. This quilt and pillow make me wish my boys were 5 again.




Q: If this collection had a scent to it, what would it be?
A: The smell of a freshly bathed little boy after playing outside all day...the scent of his little head when you tuck him in and kiss him good night.

Q: Can you give us a sneak-peek of your next fabric collection?
A: It's called Stars and Stripes.





Q: If you had a mascot, what animal would it be?
A: A night owl... I have 4 busy kids and most of my work ends up happening at night when everything else in my home is settled. You could say I am slightly nocturnal. Designing in the quiet night with a little music in the background is one of my favorite things to do.




Q: Who is your favorite celebrity?
A: I like celebrities that do something great with their fame. Bono from U2 is the first celebrity I think of. I went to their concert in the fall and the message of ONE person making a difference still rings strong.

Q: If we were making a movie about your life, who would you want to play you?
A: I have been told I resemble Hilary Swank, so maybe her... but when I saw that “Office” episode when they were trying to figure out if Hillary was "hot or not" I started to wonder if I like the compliment or not!




Q: Who is your favorite fabric designer not including yourself?
A: Illustrator, Charley Harper. I love his animal and bird illustrations.




Labels: ,