Designer Tidbits: Jo Morton



The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Jo Morton back to the Jolly Jabber. Jo’s latest fabric collection is Bridgeport from Andover Fabrics.





Q: What was the first seed that grew into the Bridgeport collection?
A: I didn't have any one inspiration for the group but pulled from my antique fabrics/blocks/tops collection. I knew I wanted an assortment of reds because reds go with everything. Same for blacks, and I dearly love browns as they always make a quilt better for me by adding warmth.




Bridgeport gives us a nice assortment of these three colors to play with or use with other lines. Since there are no lights I would pair Bridgeport with Toasty or the Attic Shirtings. I believe more is better. My confession is that I really find it hard to make a quilt out of one fabric line (shhhhhh, don't tell on me).

Q: If your collection had a soundtrack what would be on the list?
A: Smooth Jazz. But at Christmas, it is Mannheim Steamroller.

Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite?
A: Maybe 5605: that sweet stripe with a circle of dots. It will be nice cut up in blocks, a good alternate block and a great binding cut on the bias. The paisley 5601, the flower 5600 or 5602 are all really nice too. 5608 adds another layer as does 5604, and of course . . . how do you pick your favorite child? It is a 'family'.

Q: What is your favorite project you have made using this collection?
A: I've started making some small (3 3/4") Ohio Star blocks (scrappy); we’ll see what happens with them. By the way, I sew blocks then figure out the setting. I have pencil and graph paper, camera and my eyes to determine what to do next. I love playing with fabric!




Q: Can you give us a sneak-peek of your next fabric collection?
A: Yes! It is called Simple Charm; it is actually a companion group to Bridgeport. We re-colored the Bird Toile that we love so much, added a printed ticking stripe and 6 wovens in a positive/negative window pane plaid - I see decorator pillows, shams, pillowcases and valances to go with a quilt. Or a decor pillow for the family room! I can hardly wait!




Q: If you had a mascot, what animal would it be?
A: A Kitty

Q: If we were making a movie about your life, who would you want to play you?
A: Debra Winger comes to mind.




Q: Who is your favorite fabric designer not including yourself?
A: Sorry, I know too many and love their talents, can't narrow it down to one.


Labels: ,