The Fat Quarter Shop is excited to welcome Kathy Weller to the Jolly Jabber. Kathy’s latest fabric collection is Jive Cats from Northcott Fabrics.
Q: What was the first seed that grew into the Jive Cats collection?
A: With Jive Cats, four inspirations came into play.
1. The city. I love the city! It is all about the energy and excitement of urban life and I especially love if it is a colorful, vibrant city.
2. Our modern, ho-hum average busy everyday lifestyle. With mobile devices and social media, everyone’s life is so much more complicated these days... Or maybe we just have better tools to procrastinate with! Regardless, Jive Cats celebrates this, and also sees the humor in it.
3. The fun that is fashion! The Jive Cats have kind of a spin on a NYC vintage vibe mixed with Japanese street fashion mixed with a little Yo Gabba Gabba! That just about sums up these fashionable, funny cats.
4. The Jive Cats characters themselves inspired the collection! I love these characters, I’ve been doing them for years, and they have evolved quite a bit... So I guess you can say they are now "all grown up" and the Jive Cats collection is their big debut!
Q: If your collection had a soundtrack what would be on the list?
A: Some fun, light-hearted happy songs that match the kitties’ disposition!
1. The Go! Team - Huddle Formation
2. OK Go - White Knuckles
3. Cibo Matto - Sugar Water
4. Cake - The Distance
5. The Cure - The Caterpillar
6. a They Might Be Giants song (undetermined)
7. a Weezer song (undetermined)
Q: What single print/SKU in the collection is your favorite?
A: I love them all but my sentimental favorite is the oversized feature panel with all the little cats in a row (4800-23). I love that the kitties get a chance to be "individuals" here with their little cell phones, coffee cups, purses, hats, eye glasses, and cute boots! I think there's a ton of potential for fun and easy craft projects from this one panel. That said, I have to admit that I am tickled pink that we also did another oversize panel featuring an easy craft project (a stuffed cat and stuffed mouse) which helped to make answering this question a little more difficult for me than it already was.
Q: What is your favorite project you have made using this collection?
Q: If this collection had a scent to it, what would it be?
A: Strawberry Starburst candy and fresh lemon, with pepper undertones.
Q: If you had a mascot, what animal would it be?
A: I have a real-life mascot—my pug, Daisy. She keeps me company while I work, and reminds me to take breaks every now and then, too. In terms of my business, I have a cute kitty cat that is sort of the face of WellerWishes Illustration & Design on my blog and social media (and she happens to be a Jive Cat!)
Q: Who is your favorite celebrity?
A: Hello Kitty, of course
Q: If we were making a movie about your life, who would you want to play you?
A: That’s a funny question! Looking at the big picture, Drew Barrymore probably makes the most sense.
Q: Who is your favorite fabric designer not including yourself?
A: This question is just too tough! I honestly can’t say that I have one favorite. I will name a few favorites (is that cheating?). I’m a novelty girl, and for me, Kokka puts out some of the most inventive, inspired, and just plain wack-a-doo novelty prints on a consistent basis. I love them! For straight-up decorative symmetrical patterns, I think Jenean Morrison’s work is sublime, vibrant and happy. I love Tula Pink’s classic/modern surrealism. I think she has an absolutely wonderful sensibility, and it is so fresh for fabric! Gosh, there are so many more... How on earth can I pick just one?? :)