Designer Tidbits: Aneela Hoey


Christmas is all around us, for just a bit longer. Aneela Hoey rounds out our Christmas themed Designer Tidbits posts for the summer, just in time to get one more season in before winter.  Cherry Christmas is a bright and cheerful reminder of Christmas excitement.  Fuel your pre-Christmas anticipation with this charming collection and get ready to be inspired to create some festive quilts in the upcoming months.



Q: To what or whom would you dedicate the Cherry Christmas collection? 
A: When I was first designing the images that eventually became this group, I was thinking about all the little things that contribute to pre-Christmas excitement. Hanging up the decorations, writing Christmas cards and having tea in my favorite seasonal mug always gets me in the spirit. So I suppose I would dedicate this collection to that feeling of anticipation and to everyone who gets excited about it enough to wear a reindeer sweater.


Q: What is your favorite project using this collection?
A: I've designed two quilts - Festive and Jolly using these prints and I'll be making both of those in the run up to the big day. I've been so busy lately that I've had very little time to work with the fabrics. The one thing I have completed is my Vintage Holiday quilt, which I love.


Q: If time travel became possible, what year would you want to be in?
A: I'd love to spend some time in the late 40's. I think it was a time when people were thankful for what little they had and got mileage out of everything. I love the whole ethos of make do, mend and love something until it literally falls to bits. I'm sure these years were very tough though. I'm probably viewing them with my rose tinted glasses on after watching too many episodes of Miss Marple.

Q: If you had to change your first name what would you change it to?
A: You know, that is something I have never ever thought about?! The thing that annoys me most about my name is that people always spell and say it incorrectly. So probably something easy to spell and say.


Q: What was your favorite childhood TV show?
A: I had lots - Mork and Mindy, Dallas and Soap were my favorites. In fact now that I think about it, it would definitely be Soap.

Q: Who is the most famous person you have ever met?
A: I once sold a pair of Chanel sunglasses to Kate Middleton. It was about three years ago and I didn't realize it was her even after chatting away to her for about 20 minutes. Not even when she paid with her card with the name K Middleton on it.


Q: What is your favorite App to play on your phone?
A: I have a really basic phone without any apps on it, but on my iPad, definitely Instagram.

Q: If you could marry a technology, what would it be?
A: I would probably marry my computer because it really has changed my life.


Labels: ,