Designer Tidbits: Jacquelynne Steves


Jacquelynne Steves, the designer behind The Noble Wife for Henry Glass Fabrics, is a self described "Jackie of all trades." She is an artist, dabbling in various mediums, and is charming us with her latest fabric endevor, Fruitful Hands. Jacquelynne stopped by the Jolly Jabber to chat about her yummy collection, so continue reading for some fruity inspiration!


Q: To what or whom would you dedicate this collection, or what inspired this collection?
A: This fabric collection was inspired by my book, also called Fruitful Hands, which was released last summer by Kansas City Star. It has 13 projects and 12 recipes, and is an homage to our mothers, grandmothers, and great-grandmothers. We dedicate this book to those who had to be creative with needle & thread and in the kitchen because their families depended on it. Now, we get to be creative just for fun, not as a requirement for survival. I did a lot of watercolor artwork and illustrations for the book, and it seemed to be a natural leap to a fabric line. The pears seem to be everyone’s favorite.


Q: What is your favorite project using this collection?
A: My favorite project is definitely the cherry quilt! I love cherries because they are so bright and cheery. I remember that my grandmother used to do a lot of canning in the summer, and seeing these bright fruits reminds me of the colorful Mason jars lined up on the shelves of her basement pantry. That’s how I got the name for the pattern, Grandma’s Pantry.


I also really like this potholder that I made with the collection. It was very simple, and potholders make great holiday gifts! If you start now you will have time to make a lot of them… I have an easy-to-follow tutorial on my blog.

Q: What would be your collection’s theme song?
A: Walking on Sunshine by Katrina & the Waves. I hope that is makes everyone who sees it feel happy and cheerful.


Q: If you could live in a movie, what movie would it be?
A: Definitely, without a doubt, Pride & Prejudice (2005). It’s my very favorite movie. I love the costumes, the scenery, the sound track, and the way that the characters speak so poetically. I think I’ve seen it a hundred times. The soundtrack is my favorite CD to listen to in my studio while I’m working. Actually, I would love to be in any Jane Austen movie. I’ve visited England twice and it’s one of my very favorite places.

Q: What do you get nostalgic over?
A: My carefree childhood, when my parents could send us outside and we just had to be home by dinner. They had no idea what we were up to, but they didn’t have to worry. I spent hours wandering the yard and the woods and riding my bike. Time spent alone with just my imagination (and no TV or video games or computers) really nurtured my creativity. Times are different now, you have to watch your kids every second. It seems that a lot of the innocence of childhood is gone, and I find that sad. I wish we could go back to simpler, safer times.


Q: What is your favorite TV show of all time?
A: So many, but probably Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley. There’s some nostalgia! Shows made in the 1970’s about the 1950’s, which I miss in 2012!

Q: If you could be a modern day fictional character, who would you be?
A: Ellen Ripley from the Alien movies- she kicks some serious butt!


Q: What’s the strangest compliment you’ve ever received?
A: A waiter at the Rainforest Café in Toronto said to me, “Everyone must tell you that you look just like Marg Helgenberger.” Compliment because Marg Helgenberger is gorgeous, strange because I look nothing like her! And no, no one else has ever told me that. (I think he was just fishing for a larger tip.)


Labels: ,