Book of the Month: Inspired

It's that time again! We are announcing the Book of the Month at Fat Quarter Shop!

For the month of October we are featuring Dawn Heese's Inspired Quilt Book . Dawn is inspired by old, 19th century quilts and adds a modern flair, creating her own heirlooms to be cherished for years to come.

And remember, the Book of the Month is 20% OFF all month long!


Hello! I am Dawn Heese of Linen Closet Designs and I am so excited to share my latest book, Inspired, with you. This is my fourth book with The Kansas City Star and I think it is my favorite. I travel to teach and speak regularly, and the question that I am asked most often is “Where do you get your inspiration?”

The answer is almost always “from antique quilts and textiles”. I am a big history buff and I love the quilts from the 1800's.


I don’t make reproduction quilts but there is generally an element of an antique design in each. The quilts in this book are all designs that are easily recognized as 19th century designs, but each has my own unique twist.

There are six quilts in the book. You will find wool appliqué, piecing, raw edge appliqué and my favorite, needle turn. Though they each began with a design from the 1800's, they are definitely quilts of today.


One of my all time favorites from the book is the quilt, Laurel. It features 9 different wreaths with appliqué sashing. The color contrast of this quilt is dynamic. The red sashing with cream vines looks very modern, but that is actually the 19th century element of the quilt. The inspiration for the quilt was made in 1840 and featured a wreath block, repeated 12 times with this very modern sashing. The maker was ahead of her time!


Hippy Chick is a pieced quilt with just a touch of appliqué that is very 21st century. The block is a snowball block that dates back to the 19th century. It has been updated with fast piecing methods and fresh, new fabrics making it very now.

This is just a sample of what you will find inside the pages. I hope will pick up a copy at 20% off and be inspired!

Labels: ,