Designer Tidbits: Jackie Shapiro


Jackie Shapiro's bold and graphic aesthetic sets her apart from the crowd. Delight has Jackie's signature pop culture style, combining bright colors and bold prints to add a pop of fabulous-ness to any project. You can also find her over at French Bull where her designs come to life on a variety of surfaces, including her signature melamine kitchen wares. Jackie is full of artistic talent, and is here to chat with us today about her latest fabric collection Delight. 





Q: What inspired this collection?
A: When Delight was introduced into French Bull's tableware line-up years ago I envisioned a fantastical world of flowers and swirls I could get lost in.


Q: What is your favorite project using this collection?
A: The way a mom can't favor a child, I struggle to commit to a favorite use for Delight. I love the porcelain gold rimmed tea cups and table top to tissue box covers and slippers. I love them all! Once I get fabric samples of the collection I think I'll try making a Sarong... I'm really a lousy sewer.



Q: What would be your collection’s theme song?
A: Itchycoo Park by Small Faces

Q: If you could live in a movie, what movie would it be?
A: I could live in The Cell, The Fountain, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Fantasia, Toy Story, Sin City, 8 1/2, Brazil, Across the Universe, Avatar and Inception, all simply for the dazzling visuals.


Q: What do you get nostalgic over?
A: Old time NYC stores, restaurants, movie theaters, bars, concert halls and so on. To me they were institutions and sadly they have quietly have closed over the years.


Q: What is your favorite TV show of all time?
A: The Batman live action series starring Adam West and Burt Ward. Everything was fabulous about it. The theme song, the villains, the guest appearances, the pop art-adventure-camp comedy-script, the sets, the costumes. Fab fab fab.


Q: If you could be a modern day fictional character, who would you be?
A: La Femme Nikita, stylish and sexy spy.


Q: What’s the strangest compliment you’ve ever received?
A: Not totally strange, but I loved when last year during the Chicago at the Housewares Show, a clock maker came to our booth wanting to buy our platters and plates to make his clocks from them!


Labels: ,