Designer Tidbits: Sandra Workman Designs


And they lived happily ever after. Happy Ever After, Sandra Workman's first collection for Riley Blake Designs, has us daydreaming of fairy tales and hoping our knight in shining armor will come knocking on our door. This charming princess inspired collection will have every little girl dreaming of her Happy Ever After.




Q: To what or whom would you dedicate this collection, or what inspired this collection?
A: I had been dreaming of designing fabric but found myself overwhelmed with the whole process and where to begin. I was talking with sweet Shari Butler of Doohikey Designs about it at Quilt Market and she pointed to my quilt Pretty Garden and said “What are you talking about, there, that quilt is your fabric line!”. That was all it took, I had my starting point. Thanks to Shari and so many other people encouraging me, Happy Ever After was born!


Q: What is your favorite project using this collection?
A: My favorite part of creating this line was the panel. As a child I loved paper dolls and this was my version of one of my favorite childhood activities. The panel gives instructions for creating an activity pillow for the bed, but I just couldn't stop there. I created an activity bag that a child could carry with them and play! I am so lucky to be surrounded by the most supportive group of people, among them is my little sister Holly (I have 4 other fabulous sisters and 5 brothers as well). My sample yardage arrived and she hit the road running and has already designed and sewn two quilts.


Q: What would be your collection’s theme song?
A: What a fun question! “A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes” from Cinderella of course.


Q: If you could live in a movie, what movie would it be?
A: Wow, that’s a hard one. I’m going to stick with the fairy tale theme and pick Snow White. She lives in the forest, which I love, and after all, there are 7 tiny beds each needing a fabulous quilt! While my prince was out slaying dragons I would stay home and quilt.

Q: What do you get nostalgic over?
A: The simplicity of times gone by. I would love to return to my childhood and sit on the lap of my grandmothers. I would love to play hopscotch and marbles in the school yard and lay in the sun on the lawn without a care in the world.


Q: What is your favorite TV show of all time?
A: The Andy Griffith Show. I never tire of this show. Simple, sweet and funny, what’s not to love?


Q: What’s the strangest compliment you've ever received?
A: When I was in my early twenties (oh so long ago) I would occasionally have someone tell me I looked like Brooke Shields, which my sister quickly told me was because of my “bushy eyebrows”. No one can bring you back down to reality quite like a sister.


Labels: ,