Designer Tidbits: Aneela Hoey


We are welcoming spring with open arms. Posy by Aneela Hoey for Moda Fabrics is just the bit of Spring we have been longing for. Regardless of the current temperature outside, we feel bright, airy, cheerful and playful with Posy. Aneela is here on the Jolly Jabber to chat a bit about Posy, so read on and feel the Spring air in the midst of a cold winter!


Q: Where did you find your original inspiration for this collection?
A: My garden. I used to love spending time gardening but soon after we moved into this house I started to notice that every time I did so, I would end up with a rash all up my arms and legs. It was very uncomfortable and would last a few weeks. Sadly I had to put a stop to my gardening hobby and took to quilting instead. But I miss my garden and my flowers and decided this new group would start with a floral theme.


Q: What TV show or movie does your collection fit best in?
A: The overall feel of the group is quite idyllic and nostalgic, so I suppose a good TV parallel would be something like The Darling Buds of May, which was a British TV series that was on air sometime in the eighties.


Q: Tell me about your sewing machine. What kind do you have?
A: I have one sewing machine, a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 and that's it. I have dreams of owning shelves full of vintage featherweights though.


Q: What is your favorite part of the fabric industry?
A: Most of all, I love to see what other people create with my fabric. It feels incredible that people go out and choose my fabric from the huge variety that is out there and that they make bedding and dresses and so on for their children out of that fabric. I love being a part of that.


Q: From what aspect of your life do you draw creativity?
A: The creativity always comes from the people and things I love, anything that makes me feel happy and dreamy and that life is a good thing. A lot of it comes from my daughters and things they might say to me or the way their imagination works, the pictures they draw, the way they play.


Q: What is your favorite print in the collection?
A: The Ditsy floral prints (lily of the valley, geranium, hollyhock). It’s so simple and easy to use. It will be perfect for pretty spring dresses.


Q: What is the most challenging part of the design process?
A: Trying to get a sketchy hand drawn look when designing with a computer. I can never get it quite right because drawing with a tablet is nothing like drawing with a pencil.


Q: What are your favorite and least favorite colors and why?
A: It changes all the time. Right now I am in love with midnight blue, navy and deep purple. The colours I am least in love with are aqua and red, I feel like I have done aqua and red now!

Labels: ,