Designer Tidbits: Judie Rothermel

Dying for something sweet? Judie Rothermel's latest reproduction masterpiece can satisfy your sweet tooth! Strawberries, Blueberries and Chocolate by Judie Rothermel for Marcus Brothers is the perfect pink and navy collection, filled with dainty 1800's prints!



Q: Where did you find your original inspiration for this collection?
A: I have always been fond of Pink and Navy quilts. To me they just say this is a quilt. I especially love pink and navy basket quilts and little hexagons made in these colors. I added the brown as an accent for the line.

Q: What movie does your collection fit best in?
A: I would have to say “Gone With The Wind”, which is my all time favorite era.


Q: Tell me about your sewing machine(s). What kinds do you have and how many?
A: I have two Berninas, two Elnas and several Singer Featherweights. I still like to hand sew and hand quilt as much as I can. It is so relaxing to me.

Q: What is your favorite part of the fabric industry?
A: I would have to say creating a new fabric line that I personally want to sew from. Especially designing with the colors that I like to use in my quilts.


Q: What is your favorite print in the collection?
A: Pattern O257, the Strawberry Leaf Stripe. It is so dainty and sweet!

Q: What is the most challenging part of the design process?
A: Getting it really coordinated so all of the prints have a place in the quilt it will be going into. Also using very unique looking prints, so they stand out and say “buy me”.


Q: What are your favorite and least favorite colors and why?
A: I like blues, browns, golds, reds and sage greens . I do not like oranges, fuchsia, or bright greens. They just do not fit in my color palette or in any quilt I would make.

Labels: ,