Book of the Month February 2013: Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe

It's time again for a new Book of the Month! Three of the fantastic contributors are here today to tell you a little bit about our February Book of the Month, Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe! And don't forget, the Book of the Month is 20% off all month!


Jeni Baker of In Color Order, Allison Harris of Cluck Cluck Sew and John Adams of Quilt Dad are here to talk a bit about their contributions to Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe and the quilt blogging community. You will find these stunning quilts and 16 others in the book, all from well known quilt bloggers.

Mini Claw Throw Quilt by Jeni Baker from Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe
Jeni Baker: I really enjoyed contributing to this book. It made me step back and think about what "modern quilting" means to me. I think many of the quilts we consider modern have roots in traditional designs. For me, quilts are made modern through the fabrics and colors we choose. Keeping that in mind, I designed my quilt, the Mini Claw Throw Quilt, as a twist on the traditional bear claw quilt. There are still small claws, but they are from a baby bear instead of a full-sized bear! I choose a color scheme, but instead of using a single fabric of each color, I used a wide range of prints for added interest.

The quilt blogging universe is an amazing thing to be a part of. With the help of many tutorials, I learned to quilt through quilt blogs. Without it, I may not have had the courage to take up quilting! It's so great being able to connect with other quilters, no matter where you're located. The interaction is what keeps me coming back.

Scattered by Allison Harris from Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe
Allison Harris: Modern quilts are more about the fabric choices that anything, so when I was asked to submit a modern quilt for the book, I chose a really simple design with some bright saturated colors thrown in. This quilt is especially simple and is just one block, and can be easily made with charm packs. The book is full of modern quilt patterns, but also traditional quilt patterns made with modern fabrics. Blogging is such a wonderful way to share our creations and new ideas, and this book is just an extension of the beautiful, inspiring quilts that we see on the web!

A Shift in Perspective by John Adams from Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe
John Adams.: I am so excited that the fantastic book Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe has finally been released! I have of course known about this project for a while, and it's been a challenge keeping it under wraps for so long. I was honored to be asked to be part of this book along with some of my oldest and best quilting friends. Seeing everyone contribute such diverse designs united by a love for modern patchwork was such an inspiration, and the bloggers' efforts yielded what I think is one of the best modern quilting books available on the market.

My quilt, A Shift in Perspective, was conceived while pulling together some of my favorite fabrics into a bundle that I knew I wanted to turn into a quilt. Because I loved the prints and patterns so much, I designed something that would really highlight the combination and bring it to life. The quilt is a variation of a simple strip quilt with some movement (the shift referred to in the quilt name) for visual interest. As the quilt came together, it not only showcased the lovely fabric combination but also seemed to represent an abstract interpretation of a tree trunk -- a nice complement to the nature-inspired feel of the prints themselves.

If you haven't already, be sure to check this book out -- the number of patterns you'll surely want to make make it a great value for the price. I'd love to hear what you think of my quilt pattern, and if you happen to make one I'd be thrilled to see it! Be sure to visit me over at my blog, Quilt Dad.

Labels: ,