Designer Tidbits: Ann Kelle

Kelle Boyd, the whimsical, imaginative designer behind the brand, Ann Kelle, is here today to chat about two of her new collection, Woodland Pals and Girl Friends. Her designs are happy, light and make all of us smile. Keep reading for some colorful inspiration and a quick video of Kelle at Fall Quilt Market!


Q: Where did you find your original inspiration for this collection?
A: My Girl Friends collection, inspired by my closest friends, is an ongoing series where the girls share different adventures. Each girl has their own unique personality. Their first adventure was mermaids, with the second being ballerinas. I decided ballerinas would be one of their adventures, because when I was eight or nine, I would draw one of the little girls as a ballerina over and over. For Woodland Pals, I'm fascinated with the woods and the animals you find within them. In my imagination all the animals are friends, bounce on mushrooms for fun and the trees are adorned with stripes and dots.


Q: What was your “aha” moment in designing the Girl Friends collection?
A: For the ballerinas, it was when I put all their hair in buns. Initially, they had their hair in different styles. When I went back and put their hair in a bun, I stepped back, and was like "now they're ballerinas!"


Q: What TV show or movie does your collection fit best in?
A: The Get Along Gang!


Q: Tell me about your sewing machine. What kind do you have?
A: I have a Janome sewing machine. My Janome and I used to get into these wretched sewing fights, but we’re getting along well now.


Q: What is your favorite part of the fabric industry?
A: The passion and heart of why people sew and quilt.

Q: From what aspect of your life do you draw creativity?
A: My childhood. A lot of my designs are based on things from my childhood. Even as an adult, I have a pretty good childlike imagination. It comes in handy when designing.


Q: What is your design process?
A: I draw with my mouse.


Q: What is your favorite print in the collections?
A: I love the little girl with the glasses in the Girl Friends collection. She's based upon my sister. In Woodland Pals I like the mushrooms.


Q: What are your favorite and least favorite colors and why?
A: I love pink, mint, yellow, and white -- all the colors of ice cream! I'm not a huge fan of purple, although, as I glance down at my clothes, I just noticed I'm currently wearing a purple cardigan and my glasses are purple, go figure ;)

We had the pleasure of chatting with Kelle at Fall Quilt Market. Watch our video for a bit more about her collections!


Labels: ,