Designer Tidbits: Pat Bravo

Bring on the Flower Power! Inspired by the swinging 60s in London, Pat Bravo's Carnaby Street mixes geometrics and floral blooms to capture the essence of this iconic time. Pat is here to tell us a bit about her rad prints, so keep reading for some swinging inspiration.

Q: Where did you find your original inspiration for Carnaby Street?
A: What's not to love about British culture! I had the pleasure of visiting London last July for the first time ever. Everywhere I looked, I couldn't find anything I didn't love…


Q: What was your “aha” moment in designing this collection?
A: During my time in London, I decided to visit the infamous Carnaby Street, where I could see how the British fashion culture of the 60s changed the whole world forever. When you walk down Carnaby, you get the sense, the feel, the importance of the influence of the British culture and how it revolutionized fashion, music and more. I think it was a great opportunity that was not to be missed. As soon as I came back, I began gathering material and inspiration of the Swinging London movement. I found so much material, with such a brightness and boldness in color, that I just had to design.


Q: What TV show or movie does your collection fit best in?
A: The film Blow-Up by Michelangelo Antonioni. It's a 1966 film about a fashion photographer with a lot of photo shoot scenes. It's a must watch!

Q: Tell me about your sewing machines. What kinds do you have and how many?
A: I adore my sewing machines! They are such an important part of me and my work. They are practically my daughters! I own 4 machines and I love them all, but the first Kenmore my husband bought me 20 years ago has a special place in my heart. Right now I've signed a contract with Bernina as an expert on their new 780 and I also have another Bernina that has full embroidery capabilities back when I used to make embroidered kitchen towels. I seriously can't get enough of them! The more the merrier!


Q: What is your favorite part of the fabric industry?
A: I have two! The design process is the most important step for me. I love history so I enjoy researching and gathering inspiration for my next collections. I also love when you're done designing and you see the finished collection in your favorite quilt shop.


Q: From what aspect of your life do you draw creativity?
A: Inspiration is everywhere! I mostly use history as inspiration bringing to life different age periods with a modern twist.

Q: What is your design process?
A: I love that question! I first start with a specific theme. Then comes the color palette. To me, each palette evokes a mood, tells a story, and I need to have that first before I can start on the designs. I usually sketch designs on my computer, although some of them have to be made by hand. The tablet is a big help because it gives me the ability to draw onto my computer.


Q: What is your favorite print in the collection?
A: I have two again! Gold Psychedelia , to me, is the most representative of London in the 60s. I love the fusion of the blooms and the bright pink and citrus tones. Lustrous Go-Go London is another one! I just adore geometrics and find myself adding them to my collections. This one is one that I truly adore.


Q: What are your favorite and least favorite colors and why?
A: Life is pink! I love rose-colored hues, up and down the spectrum! My least favorite color: cobalt blue. I find it very cold and without emotion. I prefer blues that had more aquatic influences like turquoise and teal.

Labels: ,