Designer Tidbits: Bunny Hill Designs


With the newly turned Spring season upon us, everyone seems to be stocking up on light colors and fresh prints. Lucky for you, Jubilee! by Bunny Hill Designs just arrived, and it is a perfect introduction to this season of happiness. It's a Jubilee of colors and prints!




Q: Where did you find your original inspiration for Jubilee?
A: The inspiration for this collection actually came from my Lily & Will fabric collection. I wanted another Bunny Damask similar to the one in Lily & Will, so I sat down at the computer and started drawing. Once I had the Damask framework done I added the bunnies. It was so much fun to see it come to life, I named it Jubilee!



Q: Tell me about your sewing machines. What kinds do you have and how many?
A: My friends will tell you I can easily open a used sewing machine shop. I love my Bernina 440 so much I bought a second one as a backup. I also have an older Pfaff (2140) and of course a pink featherweight. If you count the machines I have for my grand-daughters to use, I’m definitely on overload.

Q: What is your favorite part of the fabric industry?
A: The fabric…can’t get enough so thank goodness they keep making it! It amazes me to see how much fabric is designed every year.



Q: From what aspect of your life do you draw creativity?
A: Creativity can hit at almost any time so I try and stay ready for it. I might be drying my hair, walking the dogs, browsing through an antique shop or looking through old magazines. I keep pads of paper around and my phone in my pocket so I can jot ideas down.

Q: What is your design process?
A: I always start with little sketches of what’s in my head. These drawings are simple, primitive little samples of anything I can think of, or even words that might fit with my idea. If it fits with the theme I have in mind it goes onto the paper. Then I start elaborating... what works and what doesn’t. These little sketches can take me in many directions.

Q: What is your favorite print in the collection?
A: The bunny damask in both pale gray and dark grey; when I got my sample yardage in the mail I wanted to own bolts of each color grey just to keep for myself. I can see this as drapes, on beds, chairs, shower curtains and well, you get the idea.

Q: What is the most challenging part of the design process?
A: Repeats; thank goodness Moda helps me with those.



Q: What are your favorite and least favorite colors and why?
A: Humm, there are not too many colors I dislike. Multiple shades of pink or red are definitely my favorites. If I had to choose a least favorite it might be one of those deep, deep blue colors that try to look like black.

We were lucky enough to have a chat with Anne Sutton of Bunny Hill Designs at Fall Quilt Market 2013 in Houston, Texas. Watch our little interview for a closer look at Jubilee! and for an introduction to the accompanying Block of the Month program, Chick Jubilee!

Labels: ,