Designer Tidbits: Fig Tree Quilts

Calming colors with a retro vibe, fresh cherries and playful polka dots fill Fig Tree Quilts'  latest collection. Avalon, by Fig Tree Quilts for Moda Fabrics has arrived to our store and we couldn't be more excited. Joanna is here on the Jolly Jabber to chat about Avalon, so keep reading for a closer look at the collection and the 2013 Designer Mystery Block of the Month!


Hello Jolly Jabber Readers! It's always so much fun to join the FQS gals and Kevin too and tell you guys a bit about what’s going on over at Fig Tree. Today I wanted to gush about AVALON a little bit.... IT'S HERE AND IT'S FRESH AND FUN! And even though I am working with my next group to get patterns ready for Spring Market and I am designing the group after that, I am having a hard time parting with the lovely patterns and fresh colors of AVALON!! This is definitely my favorite line since Strawberry Fields!


Q: What was your inspiration for Avalon?
A: My first inspiration for this group came from the colors and images of Catalina Island, a small island right off the coast of Southern California. It's a place that our family has vacationed at for many years and it has a nostalgic, beach town feel that was the perfect backdrop for this slightly nautical, fresh, summery line that was floating around in my head! The main town on the island, Avalon, has a little port and a boardwalk and is just the image of summer for me. You can see why we had to include a sailboat pattern in our release with this line [our Sail Away pattern].


Q: What is your favorite print in the collection?
A: I always chuckle when someone asks me what my favorite print is in a grouping because it's usually not anyone else's favorite! I guess I like the underdog. This time, though, the Cherry Print has to be my favorite. It's a tie between Pistachio and the Daisy! I wonder which print is your favorite?


Q: Tell us a bit about your sewing machine. What kind do you have?
A: For as long as I can remember, I have been sewing on the same trustworthy, awesome Bernina 1230. She is like my third arm! She never breaks down, she does everything I need her to and she never complains! I know one of these days I should probably get a fancy schmancy new machine, but for now, she will do just fine!


Q: Avalon is the featured collection for the 2013 Designer Mystery Block of the Month. Tell us a bit about it.
A: As I'm sure you already know, this year the BOM here at the FQS is made from the AVALON collection and not only did we design the setting but have included a block in the design as well! I guess we were really excited about the project! It has been so much fun to work on and I can't wait to start seeing everyone's quilts come together over the year. It is always one of my favorite parts of the design process, to see how everyone else uses and plays with the fabric so I am excited to see how all of the other designers used the Avalon prints in their blocks!


Q: What is Fig Tree Quilts up to now?
A: As for us now, we are busy getting ready for Spring Market with new patterns and a brand new fall feeling collection but also enjoying a little Spring Break with our kids. We have a couple mini trips planned over the next few weeks and are trying to squeeze in as much work as possible in between so we can really relax. I have to confess that there are some roller coasters in our future and I am trying to psyche myself up for them [as they scare the begeebees out of me]!

Thanks for following along and hope you get a chance to enjoy a little AVALON and a little Spring Break of your own!

Labels: ,