Designer Tidbits: Primitive Gatherings

It is well into the 80s here in Texas, but if you venture further north snow is still on the ground. Today, Lisa of Primitive Gatherings is here to tell us about her cold weather collection, Snowman Gatherings. Sit back, relax and get inspired by Wintertime motifs, muted colors and vintage prints.


Q: Where did you find your original inspiration for Snowman Gatherings?
A: Living in Wisconsin where snow is on the ground for up to 5 or 6 months a year, it is only natural to be thinking of snowmen. I searched for vintage prints in my antique quilts that reminded me of snow. Then I colored them in two shades of blue and three shades of cream/tan.


Q: What TV show or movie does your collection fit best in?
A: Frosty the Snowman.


Q: Tell me about your sewing machines. What kinds do you have and how many?
A: I stitch mainly on my Juki, but I also own 2 Berninas and a couple of featherweights. One black and one white!

Q: What is your favorite part of the fabric industry?
A: Teaching, I enjoy sharing my knowledge with others and their appreciation for it.


Q: From what aspect of your life do you draw creativity?
A: I draw most of my inspiration from my gardens, but I also get a lot of it from antique quilts.

Q: What is your design process?
A: I hand draw my motifs.


Q: What is your favorite print in the collection?
A: I love the two snowman prints, but I also love the tan prints. They are awesome backgrounds that can be used in any quilt.


Q: What is the most challenging part of the design process?
A: Waiting for the fabric to come in. It seems to take forever! You want to see how it is going to look on fabric and so far everything has looked great.


Q: What are your favorite and least favorite colors and why?
A: You are not going to believe this but, white and then blue. I love black, red and tan, but I believe all colors are important and I use every color. Speaking of colors, I can't wait for you to see the next "gatherings" line!

We hope you enjoyed this inside look at Primitive Gatherings and her latest collection, Snowman Gatherings. For even more, we have a little interview from Fall Quilt Market to satisfy your primitive cravings! Watch Lisa in action, as she chats about the collection.



Labels: ,