Designer Tidbits: Sarah Watson

Sarah Watson is here today to chat about her second collection for Art Gallery Fabrics, Indian Summer! Indian Summer takes you on a wild adventure, filled with teepees, wild animals and lush wildlife. Send your little boys and girls on an adventure with Indian Summer and hear all about the collection from Sarah herself!




Q: Where did you find your original inspiration for Indian Summer?
A: I think the very first piece of inspiration was a little toy. You know those green plastic army soldiers? This one was an indian. And he was the most amazing color. Like rust and ochre. I think that sort of got the ball rolling with the theme. It then led to images of vintage rucksacks, camping trips, teepees and general outdoorsiness, which I love.


Q: What was your “aha” moment in designing this collection?
A:  The 'aha' was definitely the first sketch I did, which turned into the Woodland print (available in Pine and Oak). I imagined it as mountains, hills and lakes, but I think a lot of people (okay, everyone I've talked to) sees it as teepees. Isn't it funny how you can be thinking one thing and people can see another? Either way, I love that print, whether it is mountains or teepees.


Q: What TV show or movie does your collection fit best in?
A: I think Hook, but if Hook were a western (and not the best Peter Pan movie ever). Or...maybe the Fantastic Mr. Fox. I've never seen it, but I think with the aesthetic and a general theme of foxes, it'd fit right in.

Q: What projects do you hope to see made with Indian Summer?
A: Well I think anything for kids would be amazing. I've made some kid's room accessories, and some garlands and decorations that I think would make for a great kid's party. Also, there's this idea of a sweet heart quilt that I've been working on. It should be finished and up on my blog soon with instructions, so I'd love to see people make that!


Q: You currently live in Brazil (jealous!), how has your surroundings influenced your design aesthetic?
A: Living in Brazil is definitely an education. Just this weekend my husband and I went camping, and I honestly spent half the time pressing leaves in my notebook. There are so many natural shapes here that I've never seen before. We live in a really hot area, and so it's interesting to see how people wear their clothes here. Prints, colors and pattern are matched like I've never seen before.

Q: What is your favorite print in Indian Summer?
A: I still get sad about picking a favorite. They're all my favorite! But Menagerie (available in Timberwolf and Onyx) is one of my favorite all time prints. I think it has so many uses. I've been making individual projects with the animal faces, but because it's a two-tone and a very subtle pattern it works so great for apparel and as a blender. It cuts up really well too, which is useful.
Q: What are your favorite and least favorite colors and why?
A: Least favorite color? What an idea. I don't think I have a least favorite color. I believe individually any color can shine. But often times colors get matched up with others that maybe they shouldn't be with. So I guess you have to watch out for that. But right now, some of my favorite colors are creme, inky blues, khakis and ochre. But maybe I like these because they have great neutral qualities, and that allows me to match them up with brights like teals and aquas and pinks.

Q: What’s next for you? Do you have any special upcoming projects?
A: Oh, yes! As we speak I'm working on the sequel to Sweet Coco, the first children's book I illustrated. It's a sweet little project, you can check out the first one here. Other than that, I'm always developing new prints and putting together new collections for fabric. I had a blast designing Indian Summer, so who knows, maybe designing another children's line would be on the horizon?

Labels: ,