Designer Tidbits: The Quilted Fish

Take a trip to India from inside your sewing room with Madhuri. Amanda Herring of The Quilted Fish brings the bold, ethnic and printed to you! Head out with us on an exotic adventure while Amanda chats with us all about the Madhuri collection today on the Jolly Jabber!


First off, let me say how truly excited I am to be back at the Jolly Jabber!   I love posting here because they always ask such great questions.

Where did you find your original inspiration for this collection?
For several years I have been dreaming of going to India.  I love so much that I see in pictures.  I love the colors, the textures, and the beautiful architecture.  This was where my inspiration came from.  Someday I hope to go to India, but first I think I better learn to like the food.

DSC_7748

What projects do you hope to see using Madhuri?
I really don’t think there is a project that wouldn’t look amazing done with Madhuri!  But I just know someone out there will do something cool with those elephants.  Can you imagine them fussy cut on a bag?  I think the diamonds would make beautiful skirts.  And, of course, QUILTS!

DSC_8122
DSC_7996


What TV show or movie does your collection fit best in?
One of my favorite movies is Outsourced.  I can totally see it fitting in there!  By the way, I liked the TV show that was a spin off of this, too, but not NEARLY as much as the movie!


Tell me about your sewing machines.  What kinds do you have and how many.
I have four!  Three are Berninas and two of those are from 1970.  They are a not-so-lovely greenish color.  I just purchased a Brother that we keep at the office (or Offish as we call it) so that I don’t have to carry my Bernina back and forth.  It is about time to replace the Bernina I sew on regularly, I think it is dying a slow death.


What is your favorite part of the fabric industry?
I love the people.  I work with such amazing people at Riley Blake and I really enjoy meeting people at guilds and shows.  I think that it is amazing to be a part of someone’s creative journey and so cool when I get to meet them in person!

From what aspect of your life do you draw creativity?
Hmmmm….I guess it would be a lot from my travels.  I am always taking pictures of flowers, architecture, sidewalks, carpets, and the list goes on.  Of course everything gets my own spin!


What is your design process? 
I always start with a pencil and a sketchpad.  Once I have a good idea of where I want to go, I start new with my laptop and Wacom tablet.  I use Adobe Illustrator to create and refine my artwork.


What is your favorite print in the collection?
The green medallion!



What is the most challenging part of the design process?
I always design one full color way then create the other two.  The hardest part is making the same combination of colors look good in a different arrangement.  That AND making sure that the repeats are correct.


Thanks so much for having me, I really love Fat Quarter Shop!!!
Hugs and Fishes,
Amanda Herring

Labels: ,