Designer Tidbits: Heather Ross

Welcome to the whimsical world of Heather Ross! Briar Rose, Heather's new collection for Windham Fabrics, is filled with the most magical prints in bright, punchy colors. Her illustrations come to life on fabric and are dying to be transformed into your next sewing project. Heather is here to tell you more about Briar Rose, so keep reading for a closer look!


Q: Where did you find your original inspiration for this collection?
A: In and around my home in the Catskill Mountains, in upstate New York.

Q: What was your “aha” moment in designing this collection?
A: When I drew the sketch of the little honey-bee mom.


Q: What would be your collection's theme song?
A: Probably "That's My Daughter, In The Water".


Q: Tell me about your sewing machines. What kinds do you have and how many?
A: I have too many to list, but the green one in the Briar Rose catalog is my current love. It's an Elna, in a wonderful "grasshopper green".

Q: What is your favorite part of the fabric industry?
A: The wonderful people!


Q: From what aspect of your life do you draw creativity?
A: My daughter, my home, and my own remembered childhood

Q: What is your design process?
A: I sketch for days, then I scan and plan repeats and composition, then I add lines and color digitally, using Photoshop. I describe my process step by step in my last book, Heather Ross Prints.


Q: What is your favorite print in the collection?
A: Nanny Bee, in green!

Q: What is the most challenging part of the design process?
A: When I've been staring at the screen for too long and can't decide if something isn't working or if I'm just tired of it.


Q: What are your favorite and least favorite colors and why?
A: Grass green, buttercup yellow, and orange. I love orange: rhymes with nothing, goes with everything!

For a closer look at Heather Ross and Briar Rose, watch our interview from Spring Quilt Market in Portland.


Labels: ,