Book of the Month August 2013: Large-Block Quilts

It's time again for a new Book of the Month! Vickie Eapen of Spun Sugar Quilts is here today to tell you a little bit about our August Book of the Month, Large-Block Quilts! And don't forget, the Book of the Month is 20% off all month!


Hi, it's Vickie of Spun Sugar Quilts! I'm here to tell you about my new book, Large-Block Quilts! Being drawn to connecting with other crafters, quilters and knitters, I started out a blogger and blog reader just like you. I fell in love with all aspects of quilting, fat quarters and charm packs, choosing fabric, cutting fabric for a pattern, rulers and templates, piecing, ironing cotton fabric (not clothes :)), machine quilting, hand quilting, English paper piecing, embroidery, binding, washing and using quilts. Whew, I’m winded from that. As much as I love quilting, responsibilities of life, my full time job as a dentist, being a wife and mother, all come first. The time that I do have to quilt is limited and I like to get the most done in the shortest time.

I tried to keep this in mind while writing Large-Block Quilts. Many of us have responsibilities outside the home and crafting time is precious. I wanted quilts that could be made quickly, easily and looked like I spent weeks on them. A larger size is great so I would not have to make so many. Plus they could be nearly pieced in a weekend. Some of the blocks are a whopping 24”!


When you flip through my book, you will notice that some of the designs are quite simple and others appear complex. Lantern Lights is just squares and rectangles. It can be made easily with your stash and modified to be a smaller quilt by sewing less blocks. Again a larger block at 18” finished.


Some of the blocks are not complex but sewn together into inspirational and complex designs. For example, Blue Crackle is just one block repeated. It is the block rotation that creates a complex design. This quilt top can be pieced all in about a weekend!


So what will you do this weekend? I’m going to be piecing a whole quilt top. You can too, just pick up Large-Block Quilts for 20% off this month at Fat Quarter Shop.


Whatever quilt you choose, you will be happy to know that it will be simple, quick and fun to make!

Labels: