National Book Lovers Day with Moda Bake Shop

Hello quilters! It's Kimberly! Have you heard? Moda Bake Shop is celebrating National Book Lovers Day! We are huge book lovers around here and are so happy to be sharing.


I have always been a crafter. I learned to crochet the chain stitch at five and spent my teenage years crocheting and cross stitching. Eventually, I needed to branch out of my crafting comfort zone. In 2000 I tackled quilting and never looked back.


My first quilt was a nine-patch quilt using half blues and half yellows. The book I used for my first quilt is now discontinued and out of print. After completing my nine-patch quilt, I took a Star Sampler Quilt Class from Debbie Taylor, who works at Fat Quarter Shop now, and I was hooked! I continued taking Debbie’s classes and I watched Alex Anderson’s Simply Quilts TV show on HGTV for years. My favorite guest was always Billie Lauder. I still use most of her techniques when piecing.


My go-to books for tips and tricks were (and are!) Quick Quilt Tricks and More Quick Tricks, both by Billie Lauder, and the All-in-One Quilter's Reference Tool. These reference guides are my quilting bibles.

Kimberly's Civil War Sampler quilt featuring Pam Kitty Love
My personal style always leans toward Sampler Quilts so naturally my favorite books are samplers. My personal sampler favorites now are The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt Book, Barbara Brackman's Civil War Sampler and the Quick & Easy Block Tool. These sampler books offer so many quilt possibilities!


And I can't forget Quilty Fun by Lori Holt of Bee in my Bonnett! I love Lori's approach to scrappy quilting an I marvel over how her quilts come together. Style-wise, she and this book are pushing me to be more out of the box with my fabric choices. I am still learning, always learning, from quilting books. Even I can't wait for it to be finished since I know I will be turning to and using Lori's scrappy tips and guidance to grow my quilty skills.

I hope you enjoyed learning about my favorite quilting books! Do you have any favorites to add?

Labels: