Designer Tidbits: Allison Harris

Sit back with Allison Harris and enjoy the view. Wallflowers by Allison Harris of Cluck Cluck Sew just arrived. Her debut collection for Windham Fabrics is subtle, alluring, and fresh. We asked Allison about her first fabric collection, so sit back and enjoy Wallflowers!



Q: Where did you find your original inspiration for Wallflowers?
A: I love Zinnias, and spent every summer growing them to sell as cut flowers. The main zinnia floral print was my first focus, and the other prints followed! 
 

Q: Tell us about your background. How did you get into the fabric and quilting industry?
A: I went to school to be a Dental Hygienist, so getting into this industry was a happy accident (and lots of hard work!). I started through blogging, and after a few years I started a pattern company called Cluck Cluck Sew. It's been 7 years since I made the jump into this industry, and although I can't say it's been easy, it's definitely been a fun adventure and I love it! 


Q: What projects do you hope to see using Wallflowers? Quilts, apparel, accessories, home décor projects?
A: I'm a quilter first, so I hope that it gets turned into quilts galore! I'm making a crib sheet and bed skirt for my daughter out of the aqua and coral large zinnia print and coral leaf print right now, so hopefully it will make great home decor and some apparel projects as well.  


Q: Does your family give you input on your designs?
A: Definitely! Sometimes I have a hard time focusing on what I like and want to design, so asking my family for their opinions keep me in the right direction. They know me so well that they can tell me if something just doesn't look like "me". 
 
Primrose and Poppies Quilt Kit featuring Wallflowers by Allison Harris
Q: How did you learn to sew, quilt, and design fabric?
A: I learned to sew from my Mom but didn't quilt until I was older. Quilting was mostly self-taught, but I'm lucky to have a Mom that is a great quilter that I could ask when I was having trouble. In the beginning trial and error were my best teachers! I'm STILL learning how to design fabric, I have a lot I want to learn in that department! 


Q: What is your favorite print in the collection?
A: The small stem stripes in green, aqua, and gray. It's so dainty and I can think of 100 uses. Plus I just love stripes. 
 

Q: What inspires your work?
A: My home, family, and what I'm into at the moment. Usually what I'm decorating with or have in my house looks pretty similar to what I'm quilting and designing at the moment. I also pay attention to trends and what is becoming popular. I love retro designs, antique quilts, and a fresh farm look, so much of what I do has that "look" to it. 


Q9: What do you plan to make using Wallflowers?
A: Besides quilts (and more quilts!), I'm making bedding for my daughters’ room and a bed skirt for my own room using the gray stem stripe. I also have some Christmas gifts to make and a dress for my daughter. I'm trying to jump out of my comfort zone and make some clothes finally!

Labels: ,