Designer Tidbits: Angela Walters

Celebrate your quilting legacy with Angela Walters, machine quilter and blogger behind the popular blog, Quilting is my Therapy. She is proud of her quilting history and wants to share it with you. Keep reading for a closer look at Legacy by Angela Walters for Art Gallery Fabrics, and leave a comment below sharing your quilting legacy.



Q: Where did you find your original inspiration for Legacy?
A: Just like when designing Textures, Legacy was also inspired from some of my favorite quilting designs.


Q: What was your “aha” moment in designing this collection?
A: Legacy by Nichole Nordeman. I like how the song talks about leaving a legacy and I think Grandpa (the person who taught me how to make quilts) did just that!

Q: Tell us about your background. How did you get into the fabric and quilting industry?
A: I majored in fast food, so I sure didn’t see this one coming! I learned to quilt from my husband’s grandpa and loved it so much I decided to make a business out of it. Shortly after I started to quilt full time, I knew that I wanted to design fabric made from my favorite quilting designs.


Q: What projects do you hope to see using Legacy? Quilts, apparel, accessories, home décor projects?
A: Being a quilter means that I am hopelessly challenged when trying to make apparel and accessories. I would love for someone to showcase the fabrics in those areas!!

Q: Does your family give you input on your designs?
A: My kids think it is such a fun process, and my husband is so supportive every step of the way. They are always eager to share such sweet opinions after the design has been created.


Q: Tell us about your background. How did you learn to sew, quilt, and design fabric?
A: Quilting came first and was introduced to me by my husband’s grandpa. He first showed me everything I needed to know about quilting, and then I was hooked. Fabric came along once I realized that quilting designs would look great as fabric designs as well.


Q: What are some blocks or obstacles you encounter in your creativity, and how do you get past them?
A: I struggle with knowing how to translate what is in my head to paper, but really just practice helps with that. I like to joke that I learned how to use Illustrator through YouTube videos.

Q: What is your favorite print in the collection?
A: That’s like picking which child is my favorite!! But if I had too, I would choose Grand Mosaic Blue. It was actually the first fabric design that I ever designed, so to have it in a collection makes me really happy.


Q: What inspires your work?
A: I try to think what people would create with my fabrics. I am inspired by fluid lines and geometric prints mixed together. When it comes to quilting, I love to know the story behind the quilt.


Q: What do you plan to make using Legacy?
A: Well, we all know I am a sucker for quilts, so those are definitely on the list as well as a skirt or two for my daughters.

Labels: ,