Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Designer Tidbits: Carolyn Friedlander

Inspired by nature and texture, Botanics by Carolyn Friedlander for Robert Kaufman Fabrics will add life to your stash. Carolyn Friedlander designs her fabric and quilt patterns with a fresh, modern look and an eye for style, and her new collection is no exception! Carolyn is here on the Jolly Jabber to give you a closer look at Botanics, keep reading and get inspired!

Q: Tell us a little about the Botanics collection. What were you inspired by?
A: I love to draw, and a while back I was finding that I wasn't drawing enough. So I decided to make an effort to draw a little bit every day. In doing that, I realized that some of my favorite things to draw were some of my favorite plants that I had right around me. I loved the rich textures and bold forms that I was finding as I studied them closer and could instantly imagine how those qualities could be translated to fabric.

Q: What is your design process when beginning a new collection?
A: Many times, I'll have a design simmering in my head for a little while before I start to explore it. When I'm ready to start working on it, I'm very hands on. I'll do a lot of drawing and sketching to figure it out. My favorite design tools are very basic--paper, pens, pencils, colored pencils and markers.

Q: What design trends are you currently exploring?
A: I would say that I always have a strong interest in texture, color and form. Those are all things that we have a great opportunity to explore through quilting, and they keep me very engaged.

Q: What projects do you hope to see made with Botanics?
A: Any and everything! The best thing about designing fabric is seeing how others use it to make the things they want to make most. As with Architextures, I designed Botanics to be a tool for people to use in a variety of ways and in many applications. With Architextures, it has been such a delight to see so many people using it in so many ways, from tiny hand-pieced quilts, to big bold blocks, to clothes and bags. I love seeing it all!

Q: What projects have you made using Botanics?
A: I am making all kinds of stuff! I've made new quilts (Botanics and Focal in my pattern collection) as well as clothes and bags. Most recently I finished a bag based on the free Noodlehead pattern that goes along with the line called Cargo Duffle. I incorporated clamshells, and it was so much fun to put together.

Q: How do you describe your style?
A: Tough question! It is always hard to describe your own style. But, I would say that the most important things to me as a designer are space and light, and I hope that a sense of both are conveyed in my work.


Rosa said...

It`s absolutely beautiful and the bag caught my eye!!

Nancy M. said...

great fabric to have in stash to match lots of oter fabric. love it

Nina John said...

You are really a good webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing. It seems that youre doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. You’ve done a magnificent job on this topic!

Cardsharing Server

Stitched With Prayer said...

This a gorgeous collection. It has visions of all sorts of projects dancing in my mind!!!

Malini said...

Beautiful fabrics!

Sarah @ Berry Barn Designs said...

this is such a gorgeous new collection - I've been pining for the succulent prints!