APQ's Tone it Down Quilt Along

The Tone it Down Quilt Along is in full swing, and we hope you have been seeing bits of this quilt pop up all over the internet! The quilt, which is in the February issue of American Patchwork and Quilting, is a big, scrappy quilt by miss Moda Lissa. Along with some other quilt bloggers, we were asked to make the quilt and tell you all a little bit about the process!

Today we are telling you a little bit more about piecing the blocks. These big blocks are composed of tiny little pieces, and you are encouraged to use your stash of light prints to make a low-volume, scrappy masterpiece. I took my Tone it Down quilt a different direction, by using bright, colorful sashing and a "planned-scrappy" method for piecing. I wanted a plan for my quilt, so I used the small prints in the Wishes collection by Sweetwater Fabrics for a scrappy look.
Seam ripper is handy, just in case! 
Small units on the design board
Emma helping me cut after chain piecing blocks! 
When piecing, I paid close attention to my pattern. I alternated the chains and rings, using various prints and paying close attention to color. I pared the blues and greens together, and the reds and yellows together for alternating blocks. With so many small pieces, it can be hard to keep the colors straight. Organization and a plethora of design boards helped keep me organized after chain piecing all of the small blocks.

This may look confusing, but there is a method to the madness!


And voila!  A Tone it Down block almost completed!
Get your copy of American Patchwork and Quilting to join in the Tone it Down fun! Share photos on Flickr and post them all over the internet. Will you be making a scrappy version, or will you try your hand at "planned-scrappy" like me?


P.S. more versions from ModaLissa, Camille Roskelley, A Quilting Life, Amy's Creative Side, Bunny Hill, Quilt Jane, Primitive Gatherings and Miss Rosie's. Go tell them how much you love their Tone it Down quilts!

Labels: , , ,