Designer Tidbits: Deb Strain

Feeling romantic? Celebrate the love in your life with the Surrounded by Love collection! Deb Strain of Moda Fabrics has created a soft, romantic collection that will have you dying for a smooch! Keep reading for a closer look at Surrounded by Love!


Q: Tell us a little about the Surrounded by Love collection. What were you inspired by?
A: I feel very blessed in my life to be "Surrounded by Love" and wanted to create a group filled with different words, quotes, and patterns which express that. All of our family says "love you...." at the end of every phone conversation and we can't leave our grandsons without "Hugs and Kisses!" Family love, romantic love, friendship love, if you have these in your life, you have all that you need.


Q: What is your design process when beginning a new collection?
A: My design process begins with many sketches. I wanted to create 6 blocks that were filled with hearts and patterns and some expression of "LOVE." Each heart is filled with a different pattern, with many of these patterns becoming coordinates in the group. I knew that my main colors would be red, white and pink, but wanted to include a soft grey too. After painting the 6 blocks for the panel, the coordinates were a breeze and came together easily!


Q: What design trends are you currently exploring?
A: I’m continuing to have fun mixing different fonts and size of type! It is a great way to use type as pattern and create extra interest in a quote or saying. I love finding hidden words in a pattern. It is often a heartwarming surprise that connects to the theme of the line.

Q: What projects do you hope to see made with Surrounded by Love?
A: I hope to see wonderful Valentine projects made with Surrounded by Love, but also items that can be used all year. Every little girl (or grown-up girl) who loves pink could decorate an entire bedroom using this line. A beautiful red and white quilt would be incredible too!


Q: What projects have you made using Surrounded by Love?
A: Barb of Coach House Designs has created 3 beautiful projects using Surrounded by Love. A Sweetheart Table Runner that can be left out all year, a Be Mine Postcard Holder quilt, and a small quilt called Love is All Around. They are beautiful and were a hit at my booth at Quilt Market! And Kimberly made the Layer Cake Lemonade quilt using Surrounded by Love!

Q: How do you describe your style?
A: I would describe my style as theme driven. When I design, I am telling a story with pattern and color. If there is a panel, that is the main idea of my story and the coordinates are the details. I genuinely love exploring a theme or idea and seeing how different colors can change a pattern or motif. Because I paint my designs, I feel that they develop throughout the process using subtle texture and color variations that add to the story. It is truly a process that I love!

Labels: ,