Designer Tidbits: Angela Walters

Drift by Angela Walters for Art Gallery Fabrics
Drift by Angela Walters for Art Gallery Fabrics Soothing, tropical-inspired prints will send you drifting off into the sunset. Drift by Angela Walters for Art Gallery Fabrics is just the collection you need to start off the Summer sewing season. Angela is here to give you a closer look at her new fabric collection, so keep reading for a little inspiration!

Angela Walters

Q: Tell us a little about the Drift collection. What were you inspired by?
A: Unlike my first two collections, which were inspired by quilting designs, Drift was inspired by a trip that I took to St. John. The trip came at time when I was burnt out and stressed. I decided that while on vacation, I wouldn't make any decisions, I would merely drift along. I took pictures of every little thing that interested me and those photos served as inspiration for Drift.

Drift by Angela Walters for Art Gallery Fabrics

Q: What is your design process when beginning a new collection?
A: Each of my collections has been a little different. With Drift, I had a clear inspiration. So first I started by sketching out some of the designs. Then I used Illustrator to finalize them. Color is usually the last thing that I do during the designing process, since it's something that I struggle with.


Drift by Angela Walters for Art Gallery Fabrics
Houses Drift Fat Quarter Bundle
Q: What design trends are you currently exploring?
A: I am probably not as well versed on design trends as I should be, but I am looking forward to including more depth in my future designs.


Drift by Angela Walters for Art Gallery Fabrics
Ocean Drift Fat Quarter Bundle
Q: What projects do you hope to see made with Drift?
A: Since this collection was inspired by a tropical paradise, I am hoping to see fun, flowing clothes and bags made out it. I can just image the adorable skirts that can be made with some of the prints. I am not a garment piecer by any means, but I just might have to learn so I can use Drift to its full potential.

Drift by Angela Walters for Art Gallery Fabrics
Island Leis Free Quilt Pattern by Angela Walters for Art Gallery Fabrics
Q: How do you describe your style and how has it evolved over the years?
A: Wow, my style as a designer has definitely evolved.....I had no clue what I was doing in the beginning! All joking aside, I feel that my style has evolved due to a change in inspiration. Instead of merely looking to my quilting for inspiration, I am beginning to find it in everything that I look at!

Drift by Angela Walters for Art Gallery Fabrics

Q: What projects are on your sewing and quilting bucket list?
A: One main project on my bucket list is a wholecloth quilt. I have promised my husband for years that I would make one for him. Maybe this year will actually be the year I do it!
Drift by Angela Walters for Art Gallery Fabrics

Labels: , ,