Designer Tidbits: Into the Woods by Lella Boutique


Hello everyone! We have Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique joining us today to talk about her new Into The Woods collection for Moda Fabrics. This is Vanessa's first fabric collection and we are so excited to have her chat with us. Watch the Spring International Quilt Market video of her debut and read on to learn more about Into The Woods



designer tidbits
Q: Tell us about the Into the Woods collection. What were you inspired by?

A: When I was a little girl, my mother would tuck me in under my favorite quilt and tell me the most wonderful bedtime stories. I'd close my eyes and imagine an enchanting backdrop of pine trees, woodland blooms, and wild roses. When I started designing Into the Woods, it was important to me that it have the sweetness and charm of those childhood tales in it. 
Into the Woods by Vanessa Goertzen for Moda
Q: What design trends are you currently exploring? 

A: One of the trends I have found myself drawn to lately is Nordic design. The granny square print from Into the Woods has become a favorite because it has a simple and clean feel to it like so many of the Scandinavian textiles I love. Even some of my children's sewing projects (like the Wolf Bait play cape and Rose Red woodland doll) have a Nordic feel to them.
Into the Woods & matching AurifilRose Red
Q: How would you describe your style?

A: That's a difficult question for me--I am a bit of a mixed bag and lover of many styles. With Into the Woods, I tapped into my love of rustic-made-modern style. 
design board
Q: What projects do you hope to see made with Into the Woods?

A: I found myself making quilts and all sorts of play-things for children, but there are a lot of unexplored possibilities with this line. Recently, I've started playing with the reds and greens for my Christmas sewing projects! I also love sneaking these prints in with the other collections. They are a wonderful addition to any stash and I can't wait to see what others will make using it. 

Cottage Canopy, Twinkle, and Wolf Bait pattern 

Q: What’s next for Lella Boutique? Any upcoming projects in the works? 

A: I've got my next fabric line turned in, and though I don't have specifics, I believe it will release early 2015. I can't reveal too much about it yet except that you can expect a complete departure in color from Into the Woods! While I'm waiting on that, Moda has been keeping me busy designing patterns for some of their upcoming groups. Look for some of these new patterns in early September!

Labels: ,