Hungarian Blue by Sue Zipkin

My entire life my parents have collected the Royal Copenhagen Christmas plates, or maybe I should say they gift it to themselves for Christmas. If you're not familiar with them, they are Danish blue and white porcelain plates with a different Christmas scene for each year. All growing up, and still to this day, my parents have had them lining the ceiling of their kitchen. (...By this point i really don't know where they are gonna fit any new ones..) Any-who.. now, anytime I see something solely blue and white, I think of home... The second I saw Sue Zipkin's line Hungarian Blue, it did just that.  Luckily today I got to tag her down to share her thoughts of her line!


Thank you so much for inviting me to talk about my new collection Hungarian Blue by Clothworks. I love your blog and store and I am always excited and honored when you purchase my fabric designs.

I guess you could say I have BLUE in my blood, well not really but being a designer for dinnerware for 25 years has helped inspire this classic blue collection. I have always been inspired by blue & white dinnerware and this project gave me the opportunity to bring that inspiration to fabric.




Initially, this was developed from some artwork I was playing with-- incorporating a blue-and-white motif with some fruit. At the time I was thinking about this more as a dinnerware collection, when Candice and Joyce-- the lovely ladies I work with at Clothworks-- spotted it and saw the makings of a new fabric collection. Their instincts were correct and this was a lot of fun to develop. The blue-and-white combination is always in my heart so I really enjoyed the challenge. As you can see we have removed the fruit motif in order to focus completely on the classic blue & white.





My goal was to create something fresh and new yet maintaining a timeless feel, the other challenge was to make sure I created something that quilters would really be able to sink their teeth into and create beautiful designs with. I hope you enjoy working with this fabric as much as I did creating it. If you're up for it, please feel free to send in your designs so I can feature them on my blog. Thanks to everyone who is purchasing my designs on fabric, you are my inspiration!

- Sue Zipkin


(Note: We have already sold out of Hungarian Blue Fat Quarter Bundles.)

Labels: